Thread: Hague wades into Scots-EU debate

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hague wades into Scots-EU debate

Foreign Secretary William Hague says an independent Scottish state may not be able to negotiate the same terms of EU membership as the UK.

More...

Thanks
    "First Minister Alex Salmond has argued Scotland's membership of the EU would be negotiated "from within". He has stated that the terms of Scotland's membership would be negotiated during the period between a Yes vote in September this year and independence day in March 2016."

"Mr Hague told BBC Radio Scotland's Good Morning Scotland programme that even if the European negotiations were "constructively-minded" it would still be a complicated process involving the agreement of all 28 EU member states. The foreign secretary said Scotland would be obliged to join the Euro single currency, which the Scottish government had said it would not do. He said Scotland would also need to sign the Schengen agreement on border controls, which is "incompatible" with the Common Travel Area plans put forward by the Scottish government. "

Well I have been saying the same as Hague for some time and the last time I heard Alex Salmand challenged on the subject of what the other EU mandarins had said, he chose to merely repeat his rhetoric that matters will be negotiated from within, which like it or not portrays him as a serial avoider of those very questions.

But this is an old argument
    Physician, Heal Thyself ? Well certainly "Fireman, Check Thy Smoke Alarm" http://tinyurl.com/q7gn4tj

Thanks
    It isn't just the SNP http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php...ntry-to-the-eu

Hague is the latest minister to enter the fray - just as misguided as the rest.
    I look forward to Dave being the next to step into the fray - in debate with AS.

4.    Sponsored Links

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by morayloon View Post
    I look forward to Dave being the next to step into the fray - in debate with AS.
    I think that "Hel" will Freeze over and Scotland will become independent before that takes place ...
    Physician, Heal Thyself ? Well certainly "Fireman, Check Thy Smoke Alarm" http://tinyurl.com/q7gn4tj