Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 28 of 28

Thread: Hospitals to log victims of FGM

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    2395
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Whilst there is nothing wrong with being angry our political system doesn't usually allow for the quick fix,and often when there is a quick fix it often turns out to be a dogs dinner.
    I'm still angry about how the miners were conned and let down by both govt. and their leader,the way the hillsbororough disaster was handled and the betrayal by blair and the Iraq war,those are just a few of many,this is where the expectation that something will be done and quickly turns to disappointment.
    Things do change and for the better but many times there is often no change, FGM and forced marriage will hopefully be eradicated but it will be later rather than sooner,how many will have viewed the treatment of the clothing workers in bangladesh then put their heads down and still shop at primark or wherever because it's cheap and they are the U.K. poor but relative to those people are stinking rich ?
    Surely there are those people who do care and care deeply about the fate of others but the fall in turnout at all elections shows a disconnect and apathy that our present political system will provide the solution.
    Foot binding was ended within less than a decade this one is fixable we just have to insist and not get sidetracked by who runs the nhs database or whataboutary involving Nulab. Would you like me to describe what the cutting involves maybe?
    Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
    Hey Boris - Greed is a valuable spur to economic activity. Equally, buffoonish elitism is a necessary step to violent revolution.
    The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.John Kenneth Galbraith

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,177
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    2800
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Foot binding was ended within less than a decade this one is fixable we just have to insist and not get sidetracked by who runs the nhs database or whataboutary involving Nulab. Would you like me to describe what the cutting involves maybe?
    I think anyone who doesn't see FGM as a major issue should indeed go and find out exactly what it involves. It's about as far from Male circumcision as you could find.
    For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The older I get the brainier I was
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    1031
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    Foot binding was ended within less than a decade this one is fixable we just have to insist and not get sidetracked by who runs the nhs database or whataboutary involving Nulab. Would you like me to describe what the cutting involves maybe?
    I'm well aware of what it involves and was not trying to diminish it's impact,of course it's fixable.
    My original reply was to Verion not understanding why people aren't getting angry,I also replied to your post and anger,we all might get angry but experience shows it achieves very little,sad fact is most times no one takes any bloody notice.
    I hope it's eradicated,but then if you're getting angry at me about it you're barking up the wrong tree.
    Democracy is more than a word.

  4.    Sponsored Links


  5. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    2395
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    I'm well aware of what it involves and was not trying to diminish it's impact,of course it's fixable.
    My original reply was to Verion not understanding why people aren't getting angry,I also replied to your post and anger,we all might get angry but experience shows it achieves very little,sad fact is most times no one takes any bloody notice.
    I hope it's eradicated,but then if you're getting angry at me about it you're barking up the wrong tree.
    I'm not angry at you about FGM though I do think perpetuating the nothing can change argument makes you part of the problem with getting any real change. Have you signed the petition?
    Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
    Hey Boris - Greed is a valuable spur to economic activity. Equally, buffoonish elitism is a necessary step to violent revolution.
    The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.John Kenneth Galbraith

  6. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The older I get the brainier I was
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    1031
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I'm not angry at you about FGM though I do think perpetuating the nothing can change argument makes you part of the problem with getting any real change. Have you signed the petition?
    Ah but I didn't say nothing can ever change,what I said was it often takes too bloody long, I wish it didn't,there is the caveat though that when there is rapid reaction our political masters then make a bugger of it and then take an age to put it right.
    The petition,now you have got me there, but I will sign up and not take as long as our executive.
    Democracy is more than a word.

  7. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The older I get the brainier I was
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    1031
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright Young Thing View Post
    I think anyone who doesn't see FGM as a major issue should indeed go and find out exactly what it involves. It's about as far from Male circumcision as you could find.
    Maybe it is, but what I can tell you is,I'm not jewish,no one asked me if it was ok, but being born in the fifties a whole lot of hospitals thought it was the done thing,and I was.
    Democracy is more than a word.

  8. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    2395
    Quote Originally Posted by cromwell View Post
    Maybe it is, but what I can tell you is,I'm not jewish,no one asked me if it was ok, but being born in the fifties a whole lot of hospitals thought it was the done thing,and I was.
    "Maybe" it is? I was giving you the benefit of the doubt there but that post tells me you don't know the details of FGM otherwise you wouldn't have written a post that compared it light heartedly to male circumcision (for the record I'm against that too on any grounds other than medical)! So that everyone knows exactly what we are talking about here, very young girls are "operated" on, and I use that term very loosely, a usually dirty razor will be used to remove (in it's worse form, known as type 3) the girls clitoris, clitoris hood, internal and external labia - she is then sewn up with (if she's lucky) a small enough hole to allow for the safe passage of urine and menstral blood. This is done so that she remains pure for her husband. Now if male circumcision was in fact incorrectly labelled castration then I'll get as angry about that right along side you but until then can we please take this issue as seriously as it deserves and in the very least sign this f*cking petition!http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...share_petition
    Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
    Hey Boris - Greed is a valuable spur to economic activity. Equally, buffoonish elitism is a necessary step to violent revolution.
    The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.John Kenneth Galbraith

  9. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The older I get the brainier I was
    Posts
    1,987
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 40 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    1031
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    "Maybe" it is? I was giving you the benefit of the doubt there but that post tells me you don't know the details of FGM otherwise you wouldn't have written a post that compared it light heartedly to male circumcision (for the record I'm against that too on any grounds other than medical)! So that everyone knows exactly what we are talking about here, very young girls are "operated" on, and I use that term very loosely, a usually dirty razor will be used to remove (in it's worse form, known as type 3) the girls clitoris, clitoris hood, internal and external labia - she is then sewn up with (if she's lucky) a small enough hole to allow for the safe passage of urine and menstral blood. This is done so that she remains pure for her husband. Now if male circumcision was in fact incorrectly labelled castration then I'll get as angry about that right along side you but until then can we please take this issue as seriously as it deserves and in the very least sign this f*cking petition!http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...share_petition
    I am afraid I do know the details Ops of that and a few other things,at least one of which I quoted in my post, the plight of the garment workers in Bangladesh,I wont repeat the whole argument which I fear you misread or misunderstood.
    About my reply to Byt it was a lighthearted riposte but not one you should have any reason to doubt my understanding of this,I make no apologies for being lighthearted as are a fair few others here, yes I have got the message I will sign the f*ucking petition.
    Democracy is more than a word.

  10. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,177
    Thanks
    41
    Thanked 38 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    2800
    Moderator Notice

    Just a reminder that this is not in TOP, and I do appreciate that it is an emotive subject but perhaps we could calm down.

    Please.
    For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.

  11. #25
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    18,938
    Thanks
    1,005
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 769 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    16449
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    "Maybe" it is? I was giving you the benefit of the doubt there but that post tells me you don't know the details of FGM otherwise you wouldn't have written a post that compared it light heartedly to male circumcision (for the record I'm against that too on any grounds other than medical)! So that everyone knows exactly what we are talking about here, very young girls are "operated" on, and I use that term very loosely, a usually dirty razor will be used to remove (in it's worse form, known as type 3) the girls clitoris, clitoris hood, internal and external labia - she is then sewn up with (if she's lucky) a small enough hole to allow for the safe passage of urine and menstral blood. This is done so that she remains pure for her husband. Now if male circumcision was in fact incorrectly labelled castration then I'll get as angry about that right along side you but until then can we please take this issue as seriously as it deserves and in the very least sign this f*cking petition!http://www.change.org/en-GB/petition...share_petition
    I should just add that female genital mutilation is actually even worse than you describe, because her genital area, thus butchered, has every chance of becoming infected and often - some say usually - does. There is often a foul smell around the area because of trapped urine and blood and other vaginal fluids. All in all, it is a pretty ghastly life sentence even when the pain has subsided. And that is before we talk about the loss of sexual sensation, depriving the unfortunate woman the opportunity of physical pleasure, even if she is lucky enough to escape the tyranny and find a decent man (or woman) that she truly loves. And then there is recurring pain during intercourse itself.

    Really nasty, nasty business in anyone's language.
    It’s amazing how common this narcissism is: I disagree with person A, and I also disagree with person B, therefore A and B are identical - Daniel Hannan

  12. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,443
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 64 Times in 53 Posts
    Rep Power
    1620
    I was hoping that when FGM is taught in schools, it'd be in a historical context like crucifixion or vlad the impaler. Humanity is disappointing.
    "Even fighting requires civility."

  13. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,443
    Thanks
    73
    Thanked 64 Times in 53 Posts
    Rep Power
    1620
    Quote Originally Posted by Quijote's Politics View Post
    They may be second generation. They don't have to be children. FMG is visible without any words being spoken.
    That's all true but what are you getting at?

    I doubt the British public are going to be too keen on mandatory genital inspections

    To be honest it's not the children that need educating. It is the parents of those children. Is the easiest way to reach them really through their children, or is there a better way?

    I've put the rest of my response here because I'm being unfair to the OP in here. Sorry!
    "Even fighting requires civility."

  14. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    3,716
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 61 Times in 52 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    2395
    Quote Originally Posted by Verion View Post
    That's all true but what are you getting at?

    I doubt the British public are going to be too keen on mandatory genital inspections

    To be honest it's not the children that need educating. It is the parents of those children. Is the easiest way to reach them really through their children, or is there a better way?
    Unfortunately V because this involves society absolutely making a negative value judgement on a foreign cultural practice it will need to be the children who choose for it to stop. The parents need threatening with the full force of the law. I apologise for my previous loss of temper but this is one of those areas that is so dreadful it is downright wrong to be "light hearted" anywhere near it!
    Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.
    Hey Boris - Greed is a valuable spur to economic activity. Equally, buffoonish elitism is a necessary step to violent revolution.
    The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.John Kenneth Galbraith

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •